Friday 26 August 2011

Raglan Feast Menu and recipe sources

I promised I would post sources for the recipes from Raglan's feast, along with any modifications I can remember having made. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I will answer to the best of my ability.



First Remove:

Medieval Herb Bread - There are several sites with the same recipe, found simply by typing "Medieval Herb Bread" into Google. (In theory the hyperlink should work.) I modified the recipe slightly this time by using 2 cups of whole wheat flour and 6 cups of white flour instead of using all white flour. (I don't think it worked as well with this modification, however.)

Herbed Butter - No recipe. I simply mixed fresh herbs from my garden into softened butter. Sage, Parsley, and Oregano were used.

Chicken in Orange Sauce -From the book "The Medieval Kitchen", page 115. There was not, in fact, any orange in this recipe. Instead of roasting my own chickens, I purchased smoked chickens, cut them in pieces, and brought them up to the appropriate temperature in a warming pan with the sauce. I made the sauce by mixing the juice of 4 lemons (for the entire batch - 5 chickens worth) with water I had steeped with Rose petals from my garden. (I gathered the petals from my roses as they were blooming and dried them quickly in my airing cupboard. When dry, I saved them in airtight containers. For the recipe, I used approximately 1/4 cup of rose petals and poured about 2 cups of hot water over them. I Covered the container to keep the steam from escaping, and when the water was a good rose color and the petals had lost all their color, I mixed removed the petals and mixed the liquid with the lemon juice.) A small bit of sugar was mixed into the liquid  before it was poured over the chicken, then left to set and warm up.

Rice Lombard - http://recipes.medievalcookery.com/riselombard.html

Salat of Apples and Onions - http://greneboke.com/recipes/appleonionsalat.shtml

A Dish of Peas - http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/mediaeval/printview.php?rid=medi-perry-pesoun  This was cooked with fresh peas which some wonderful volunteers shelled for me while watching the tourney.


Sugared Almonds - http://www.medievalcookery.com/recipes/almonds.html I did this slightly differently than the recipe, because I didn't think it would give enough rose flavor. I actually made a rose syrup by steeping rose petals (see the chicken recipe above) to give a good strong rose infusion and used that to make a syrup, mixing 2 cups sugar into one cup liquid and bringing it to the boil. I then used that syrup to make the almonds.

Lavender Sugar Crystals - I don't have a specific site for this. I was doing some poking around and found that Rock Candy was a special treat for Queen Elizabeth. I had been experimenting with candy anyway, and hadn't yet tried growing sugar crystals. To make this, I steeped Lavender from my garden (picked and dried in the same manner as the rose petals) to make a strong infusion. I then dissolved sugar into this infusion, as much as the water would hold, at least 2 cups water for every cup liquid. This syrup was brought to the boil for a coupe minutes, then slightly cooled. This was then poured into clean, heated jars, into which string or sticks were suspended for the crystals to grow upon. This then was set undisturbed in a cupboard for about a week and a half to allow the crystals to grow. ( I'll admit, it didn't all go to plan, as many of the crystals grew on the sides or bottom of the jar and had to be dug out, but it tasted good and was a good learning experience. )

Second Remove:

Wild Boar - The Recipe is actually "Bourbelier of Wild Boar in Spiced Sauce" from The Medieval Kitchen (page 109). I did use wild boar, ordered from LoveYourLarder.com and roasted it at home before the event. Leaving the roasts whole, I froze them, then sliced them and brought them back to the proper serving temperature in the warming pans, with the sauce poured over them (reserved from cooking them originally.)

Frumenti Fungi - No recipe. I created this one based on other recipes I've cooked in the past. I reserved the fluid from boiling mixed varieties of mushrooms for a mushroom tart, and used the mushroom broth as the liquid to cook Bulgar Wheat. In the future, I would probably use a bit of seasoning, likely some cinnamon or allspice and a bit of salt.

Roast Chickpeas - http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/mediaeval/printview.php?rid=medi-chyches    I roasted the chickpeas in the oven before coming to the event to achieve the proper roasted flavor.

Diuers Sallets - http://www.medievalcookery.com/recipes/diuers.html

Pickled Cabbage - http://www.greneboke.com/recipes/pickledcabbage.shtml  I used a pointed cabbage for this, and left out the Caraway seeds.

Turnips in Pottage - http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/mediaeval/fetch-recipe.php?rid=medi-rapes-potage


Pears in Greek-Wine Syrup - From The Medieval Kitchen, page 213. I boiled the pears and made the syrup on Friday night, and let them set and cool overnight and until Feast. (The blackberries and Red Wine made a wonderful warm drink on Friday after the pears were set to cool in the syrup.)

Almond and Date Tart - No recipe. At Battle of Brothers/Coronation there was a sweet served that was "Heathen Peas", which was essentially ground almonds boiled with honey and spices. There was some of this left over, which I took home and froze, thinking surely something could be made with it. On Saturday at Raglan, I took dates, cut them to pull out the pit, then cut them into small slices. These were put into a saucepan with the leftover heathen peas and some honey, then brought to a boil. I poured this mixture into pre-made pastry crusts, and they firmed up into a lovely set of tarts.


If I left anything out, or if you have any questions, feel free to ask. 


No comments:

Post a Comment