Monday 2 April 2012

Medieval Quiche with variations

These are recipes I've been playing with lately, and I made a few of them this last weekend. I started from an article I found online called "To Make a Tart". It involves a couple variations on an Ember Day Tart.


The base for my tarts start with a batch of my homemade pot cheese. (The cheese you use for the cheese spread.) Mix one ball of cheese with a bit of cream to make it smooth-ish, and some salt to taste. Then add 4-6 eggs, depending on how much other stuff you're adding in.

For a nice seasonal spring tart, I used chopped spring onions (green onions) with some chives and parsley. The Ember Day tart recipe calls for a bit of sugar and currants. As odd as it seemed at the time, I tried them, and have to say I really liked how it turned out. When I made a tart without the currants it was good, but the currants definitely made it better. A small sprinking of cinnamon, cloves, and mace went into the tart as well.

After mixing your eggs, cheese, and herbs, pour them into a prepared pie crust. I'm still working on making crusts, so I used refrigerated pre-made crust.

Bake at 180C/350F for about an hour, until the top is browned and the center is set.

----------------------------------------------------------

Some variations I've done with this recipe include using leftover broccoli from the previous night's feast, or using leftover "Little leaves & Fennel".

I also tried making it with red onions instead of spring onions, but didn't like it nearly as much.

1 comment:

Lady Rhona said...

I have some pot cheese in the fridge. I was wondering what to make with it! I think I'm going to try the Ember Day one.

Easy gluten free crust alternative: oil the pan, then shake corn meal around until the bottom and lower sides are coated. Ends up tasting crust-ish, comes up clean, and is super easy.

Post a Comment