Thursday 11 July 2013

Chicken boiled with herbs - Recipe

This was another easy peasy recipe to cook ahead of time for the upcoming Great Northeastern War, and should be a flavor that even the children will eat without fussing. I got it from a wonderful book of camp kitchen recipes that was given to me in Drachenwald.
 Original Recipe:

Chicken Boiled with herbs

Whole chicken
bunch of Parsley
sage
hyssop
salt
white wine or verjuice

Bring a pan of salted water to a boil. Add chicken (not cut up) and herbs. Boil gently for about an hour, until done. Remove from water, cut chicken into pieces, sprinkle with wine/verjuice and serve.

Really, this is beyond self explanatory.  You don't get much simpler. Still, I didn't have the herbs it called for, so I have some different ones. I used sage and lemon-thyme. I boiled the chicken a few days before the event, and will simply reheat it on site. The book does suggest that you can brown the meat over the fire before serving, if you want a more roasted flavor, but it is not required.

I really like the idea of this dish because one of the hazards of cooking chicken is often that it is very dry. It's hard to have dry chicken when it's being boiled. Also, I used the broth left after cooking the chicken (after removing the herbs as well) to make Rice Lombard to serve with the chicken.

Original Period recipe is from Omnia Ciberia...(11.5) and is from the 14th century

No comments:

Post a Comment