Thursday 11 July 2013

Recipe - "Compost" (Pickled Salad)

This is a tasty recipe that I made for a feast a year or so ago, and I'm making it to take to Great Northeastern War this weekend. After having to find the recipe again, and realizing that I didn't make it quite the way the redaction stated anyway, I decided that it was a good idea to post it here for quick reference later.
I got my original recipe here. The recipe from the original text, translated by Gode Cookery is as follows:

GODE COOKERY TRANSLATION:

Pickled Salad. Take parsley, carrots, radishes; scrape and clean them. Take white radishes & cabbages, pared and cored. Take an earthen pan with clean water & set it on the fire; and put all these in. When they've boiled, add pears and parboil well. Take all these things out and let cool on a clean cloth. Add salt. When cooled, place in a container; add vinegar, powder, and saffron, and let sit overnight. Take Greek wine & honey, clarified together; take "lumbarde" mustard and whole currants, and cinnamon, "powdour douce" & whole anise seed, & fennel seed. Take all these things and place together in an earthen pot, and take from it when you need to, and serve.

 The Gode Cookery Modern Recipe only uses carrots, radishes, and pears, however, and I thought that seemed too plain. I added radishes, and if I'd thought ahead this time, I probably would have added parsnips and possibly rutabega/swedes (though not period, they are closer in appearance to period carrots, and the flavor likely isn't too far off), or maybe even turnip. Looking at the recipe, it looks like it could hold a decent variety of veggies.

So, my (current) version of this recipe is this:

1 lb carrots, peeled and cut into stew-size pieces
1/4-1/2 head green or white cabbage, sliced (without the core)
"some" radishes, heads and tails cut off, and cut in half
2 pears (I used anjou pears this time), cored(ish) and sliced
about 3/4 cup white balsamic vinegar (white wine or cider vinegar should work, too)
a few threads saffron
ginger
1/4 cup honey
1/2 bottle white wine (I used Chardonnay, since it was easily available)
powdered mustard
powder douce ("basic brown spices" or find a recipe here)
salt
fennel seed (I didn't have anise, but would use it if I had it)
1/4-1/2 cup currants

Put your carrots, radishes, and cabbage in a pot and cover with water. When it comes to a boil, add the pears and cook for just a few minutes to parboil them. Drain the vegetables, and lay them out on some clean dishtowels to dry and cool, sprinkling lightly with salt. When cool and dry (this only took about 20 minutes for me) put them into a non-reactive container, and add the saffron, ginger, and vinegar. (I mixed my saffron into the vinegar to let it dissolve a bit for better distribution.)

I did let my veggies sit in the container overnight, or for several hours, at least, with just the vinegar and spices. I prepared the rest of the dressing at night, however, and let it set overnight to cool and combine flavors before adding to vegetables.

In a small saucepan, gently boil together the wine and honey, skimming any foam that rises to the top. It only really needs a few minutes of boiling. Remove from heat. I added the currants at this point, so they could soak up a bit of the dressing and plump up some, since they are dried. I also added the powdered mustard (somewhere around 2 teaspoons?) and a good sprinkle of powder douce (maybe a teaspoon? but my powder douce didn't have sugar in it).

The next morning, I added the honey/wine mixture to the rest of the veggies, and sprinkled in some fennel seeds. Ideally, it should still set for several hours at the minimum before being served, but can last for several days at least. If you read the original translation, it is meant to be kept in an earthen pot and just taken from as needed. (Yes, this is a dish to serve cold, but not chilled.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment